enjoy the little things in life, for one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things

Check Out My Other Blogs!

           

Monday, April 18, 2011

Crash and Burn

     Well I just finished my first exam, which is the hardest of them all. I wasn't sure if I was going to classify it as my hardest but now I definitely know it to be so! There is no way that anything could be harder than that.

     I don't know if I want to laugh or cry, or some creepy-hysterical combination of the two. Hmm probably the hysterical one. Allow me to fill you in: 75 multiple choice questions worth 70%; I knew a bit more than half and think I did okay with guessing the rest. Not bad right? WRONG! The next part was short answers, five questions worth a total of 30%. And I didn't know the answer to a single one.

     I'm really not kidding.

     One question asked something about how treatment of mental illness was improved and name the important figures in such transformation. Oh yah! I remember studying this! There was a list of people and they each contributed one thing. Um ... well one person ordered the patients to be released from their chains ... um, another person founded the York Retreat which was supposed to be a centre where the mentally insane were to be treated kindly. And then ... um ... someone said that mental illness does not equal criminality. Um ... 
     So I wrote that. Pretty much exactly that, literally leaving an underlined space where the names would go, so I could go back and fill it in if I remembered it later. (You have permission to laugh. I sure did when I was reviewing it: "you thought you'd remember?! Oh dear, Caitlyn...")

     I vaguely remember one of the questions to be about the discrepancies within the field of neocontemporary something-or-other. Um hmm yah forget it. It got so bad during the exam that I started to confuse who Skinner and Watson and Piaget were and what they did. And forget about the other randoms. Hull, Bartlett, possibly a Hall, definitely dozens of others ... I just had no clue.

     One of the other short answer questions asked what were the antecedents of Gestalt psychology? Hmm, well I remember that Gestalt psychology has to do with perception and all those optical illusions. And I remember reading about Functionalism before Gestalt. And I remember that someone named James had something to do with functionalism (I think? or was it Hull? or someone-else-whose-name-completely-escapes-me-right-now? Knowing my luck, effing-probably.) So I wrote "James developed functionalism, which was an antecedent to Gestalt Psychology". ...and that's it.

     Like, that's when I filled in my Scantron form, and got up, and left. FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...