enjoy the little things in life, for one day you’ll look back and realize they were the big things

Check Out My Other Blogs!

           

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Don't Steal in California!

     Last night in Crim class, we watched a movie about the prisons in Susanville CA. The idea is that they're taking over the county, supposedly providing jobs, but actually taking away business (which loses jobs) and imports products instead of buying locally. The film followed a few peoples' stories, and one in particular I found quite amazing.

     This couple (Lonnie and Jennifer) and their two sons were living in their car, and Lonnie had a job interview somewhere near Susanville. They literally had just enough money to fill the gas tank to get there. The kids were sitting in the back screaming and crying out of starvation because they hadn't been able to afford food for a few days. So they stopped in Susanville, and Lonnie went in to a depanneur (aka: variety store for all you crazy non-Quebeckers) and stole a loaf of bread, some noodles and juice, basically just a bit of food for his kids, and the groceries were worth only $28. He was caught and sent to prison for sixteen months! That's almost a year and a half. For feeding his kids by stealing $30. I feel like I have that much money in change in my couch cushions; it's basically nothing! What the crap is the big deal?! It was so depressing to hear him talk about how useless he felt when he couldn't feed his kids, and of course he was on probation for a year, and couldn't leave Susanville. Catch-22 here: all the jobs in Susanville have been wiped out because of the prison, so you're limited to prison guard or unemployed. Being an "ex-con" he isn't allowed to work in the prison. And he needs a job to support his family and be eligible for release from parole. What bullshit.

     I have a quilter's workshop on Saturday to make a Celtic table runner. I'm so excited! It's going to be my first workshop, and I am actually a little worried how I'm supposed to get all my stuff there: machine, rotary mat, fabric, iron, accessories and supplies...and I have to take the bus. I'll post a picture when I get home on Saturday. The fabric I picked is gorgeous, but so not me! I'm so excited to see how it will turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...